Monday 26 March 2012

Re-potting in March: Part Two

Sunday was a beautiful day, so I took the opportunity to re-pot some of the vegetables I have on the windowsill at home. Most of these had now grown to a good handling size, so they were easy to transport to their new pots. Soil wise, as I still have a whole bag of the Grow Your Own Vegetable Compost, which contains 6 months of feed, I mixed this with some of the water crystals I have and filled up the 20cm pots I bought last year with the mixture.

For the Tomato varieties, Moneymaker, Gardeners Delight and Roma VF (Plum), I selected the three strongest shoots and placed one in each pot, making sure each was firmly fixed into the centre of the soil. These were all then carefully labeled, placed back on the windowsill and watered.

                                                                     Photo: Laura Lunt  Date: March 2012

The same process was done with the Brussels Sprout seedling; only these were a lot smaller and needed a lot more care when re-planting. I picked only the best and strongest looking shoots, making sure each had at least three or four leaves, which were a bright healthy green colour. I placed ten seedlings into two of the 20cm pots', making sure each shoot was firmly put into place, so it didn't fall over easily and carefully trickled some water into each pot.

                                                                    Photo: Laura Lunt  Date: March 2012

These still a few more vegetables on the windowsill slowly growing away, I've even seed a few more Chili seedlings starting to come through, but the Peppers (sweet) and Aubergines are still struggling a bit and I'll also be potting up some Courgettes very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment