Friday 8 July 2011

Strawberry Runners for Beginners

Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits to eat and I always loved the summer, when my Mum would grow these. Last year I decided to grow two small plants I bought from a local garden centre in a hanging basket I had, they grew fine, but this year I wanted to grow more.

I opted for the Strawberry 'Alice' variety from Thompson and Morgan, these came as runners, now I had no idea what a runner was, so after some quick internet research, I sort of understood what these were and how to plant these, for when they arrived. Luckily when they did arrive in early march, they had long roots and I was able to plant them up straightaway in the hanging baskets.

I started with a fresh basket liner, then I added multi purpose compost with water crystals mixed into each of these and then planted 6 runners in each basket, three around the outside of the basket and three in the top of the basket. These were then given a good soaking of water and hung up on the sides of the Balcony.

                                                                                    Photo: Laura Lunt  Date: June 2011

Within weeks they started to flourish, out of the twelve plants I only lost one, which isn't bad and once these started to grow to a substantial size straw was placed around the inside of the baskets and I created a bamboo bracket that I attached to the top of the basket wall bracket and then attached fruit netting to this, to protect then from birds.

As these continued to grow I did start to notice they were becoming covered with small green insects (aphids), again I when back to the internet had a little bit of a browse and found a homemade soapy solution I could use on these to get rid of them, see Tips of the Day section.

                                                                    Photo: Laura Lunt  Date: July 2011

Much to my delight we are now in the beginning of July and both of the baskets have produced a great first batch of Strawberries, which are currently turning a ruby red colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment