Friday 15 July 2011

Carrots All Year Around

Known to be one of the easiest vegetable to grow, I thought I'd have a try at growing Carrots this year. Now as I noticed when I headed down to my local garden center, these a very large selection of Carrot seeds, all shapes, sizes and not always the traditional orange colour. As I've never grown these before I went for a small variety called, Carrot Atlas.

As with all of my other seeds, these were sown in mid February, in the propagator. Not really knowing how many seeds to sow as they are very small, I just added a small sprinkle to five of the sections in the propagator and hoped for the best. As the weeks went by small little shoots started to show, once they grew to a suitable handling length, around March / April, these were then planted straight outside into a tall pot of multi-Purpose compost, with water crystals added and were then well watered.

From this point on I just kind of left them to it. They do say you should thin these out, to stop the carrots growing too close together, I did do this a little but I found the weaker shoots tended to die off naturally and of course I've watered these at least every day if not every other day. Plus I've fed with tomato feed every 10-14 days.


                                             Photo: Laura Lunt  Date: July 2011



We're now in mid July and they seem to have grown very well, my last look saw a count of around eight Carrots popping out, they have also just started to turn orange underground and I hope they will be ready to pull soon.

Winter Carrots - I've already been researching a winter Carrot variety that I can start planting in Mid Autumn, Carrot Nando Seeds, I'm hoping to order these soon and start prepping for Christmas Carrots for the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment