Monday 24 October 2011

Preserves: Easy Tomato Chutney

As I still have a lot of Tomatoes left to eat, I wanted to make some sort of a Chutney and as I've never made this before, I started to do some research into the many different types that can be made, when I came across the below recipe on the 'Good to Know Recipes' website:

Easy Tomato Chutney

1kg (2¼lb) Ripe Tomatoes of any variety or size
3 Red or White Onions, peeled and chopped
2-3 Cloves Garlic, peeled and crushed
200ml (7fl oz) Red Wine Vinegar
175g (6oz) Soft Light Muscovado Sugar
1 level teaspoon Ground Ginger

Sterilised Jars and Waxed Discs

I used both Moneymaker and Gardeners Delight Tomatoes for this, but any ripe tomato will do. The recipe is simple you just add all the ingredients into a large heavy-based pan, bring to a boil slowing, stirring occasionally to help the suger dissolve. Once this is at a boil, the mixture can then be left to simmer for one and a half hours, or more, stirring occasionally until the mixture becomes thick and jam like.

                                                       Photo: Laura Lunt  Date: Oct 2011

I then sterilised several jars, in boiling water for around an hour and then left these to dry out on the drainer. Once the mixtures was ready, this was spooned into the jars, sealed and left to cool down. Labels with the date of when I made these were stuck to the jars, as these then needed to be stored away for a month before eating. Once open they should be consummed within 3-4 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment