Tuesday 6 September 2011

Strawberries Over Winter

I've been a little puzzled about what to do with my Strawberry plants over the winter months, as most Strawberry plants have a life cycle of 3 to 4 years and as Strawberries are perennial plants, so will die back and re-grow the following year, I wondered if the harsh winters we have would effect them much. After a little research and some advice from the gardeners on the UK Veg Gardeners website, I've come up with a plan.

Last night I headed out onto the balcony and began to remove the netting and homemade brackets I made to hold the netting up, I then removed all the straw from inside the baskets, which has been protecting the Strawberries while they grow and I also started to cut off all the old withering or dead leaves. There were a few Strawberry runners still trying to establish from the mother plant, one of these was ready to be removed, which I did, but the other two still needs a little more time, so these have been left on.

As to what happens next, for now I've left the baskets hanging where they have been all summer, but once the weather starts to get a little colder, I'll remove these and place them in a sheltered place from the bitter wind and any snow we may get this winter.

One of the things I did read about is that Strawberry plants can also be covered with mulch (normally for ground plot based plants), straw or cloche's (poly tunnel, plastic or glass jars, fleece etc...) for a little added protection. As I have a lot of straw and I'm also planning on buying some cloche's for other delicate plants, I may also do this just to make sure they get through the winter safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment